The Saint-Gaudens Memorial is a nonprofit organization incorporated in 1919 by the State of New Hampshire to promote the legacy of the great American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848–1907) and to preserve his home, studios, gardens, and artworks in Cornish. The trustees operated the property as a museum from 1927 until 1964, when they donated it to the federal government. To this day, the Saint-Gaudens Memorial serves as an active partner of, and advocate for, the Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park. We sponsor public programs that promote awareness of Saint-Gaudens, the lasting legacy of his work, and the creative arts both past and present.
The Saint-Gaudens Memorial promotes the living legacy of the great American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848-1907). We partner with the Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park, Cornish, NH, to celebrate the arts through exhibitions, concerts, fellowships, and public programs.
The Saint-Gaudens Memorial was incorporated in 1919 to maintain a living memorial to Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848–1907) on the site of his home and studios in Cornish, New Hampshire. Its primary purpose, as conceived by Saint-Gaudens’s widow Augusta (1848–1926), was to preserve and maintain the property and artworks and to educate visitors about the arts. The Trustees also selectively acquire and preserve works by Saint-Gaudens, assist in the education of emerging artists, and present exhibitions, concerts, and other events.
In 1964, in order to more effectively ensure the care of the Saint-Gaudens property and to allow the Saint-Gaudens Memorial to carry out its greater mission, the property–including all structures, land, and artworks–was donated to the federal government for public ownership. In 1965, the U.S. Congress passed legislation establishing the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, now the Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park.
The Saint-Gaudens Memorial remains a nonprofit organization and we actively partner with the park to preserve the property as well as sponsor and fund programs for the benefit of the public. We are autonomous in our charter, organization, finances, and decision-making powers, and work in close cooperation with the National Park Service to promote goals set down in our original 1919 charter.
Read about our history by downloading our centennial history booklet.
Kent L. Barwick
Timothy Cornell, Vice President
Kathryn Greenthal, Clerk
Christine R. Hawkins
Gardiner Hempel, Jr., Treasurer
Ute Wartenberg Kagan
Matthew Leaycraft, Vice President
Soo Sunny Park
Nick Platt, Jr.
Daniel V. Scully
Thayer Tolles, President
Samuel G. White
Douglas C. Wright
New Hampshire Governor, Chris Sununu
Dartmouth College President, Philip J. Hanlon
Saint-Gaudens Memorial Executive Director, Lisa D. Niven
Mrs. George Rublee
National Historical Park
Our Partnership with the National Park Service
The Saint-Gaudens Memorial, incorporated in 1919, and the Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park enjoy a unique partnership centered on promoting the legacy of Augustus Saint-Gaudens. In 1964, the Memorial donated the property, including the grounds, buildings and works of art, to the United States for public ownership. The following year, U.S. Congress passed legislation conveying it to the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, as the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, now the Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park. A place of extraordinary character and beauty, it is the only unit of the National Park Service devoted to an American artist with substantial art holdings, and the only national park in New Hampshire. The National Park Service maintains and manages the park, which draws some 40,000 visitors each year. The Saint-Gaudens Memorial initiates, sponsors, and funds programs offered at the park for the benefit of the public. Visit NPS website.