The Saint-Gaudens Memorial was founded in 1919 to preserve and exhibit Augustus Saint-Gaudens’s home, studios, gardens, and art. The trustees operated the Saint-Gaudens property as a museum from 1927 until 1964, when they donated it to the National Park Service. To this day, the Memorial continues to play an important role as a partner of the park, sponsoring programs and activities that promote public awareness of Saint-Gaudens, his work, and sculpture in general. Its income is derived from a pool of invested funds and from contributions from individuals and foundations. The Memorial is a private, non-profit entity chartered by the State of New Hampshire with an IRS designation as a 509(a)3, a supporting organization that is a charity carrying out its exempt purposes by supporting another exempt organization, in this case the Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park.
Each year the Saint-Gaudens Memorial sponsors a summer concert series at the park, as well as a series of art exhibitions in the Picture Gallery. The Memorial also contributes toward the ongoing conservation treatment of museum objects, acquires new objects for the park’s museum collections, and sponsors an artist’s fellowship and diverse educational programs.